Saturday 18 August 2018

Klisura to Lovna hut on E4: Day 9

A shorter walk today through trees and meadows to the Lovna hut. I had wanted to walk further but the Sedemte Ezera and Rilski Ezera huts were full, I had apparently picked the busiest day of the year when a religious organisation called the White Brotherhood was congregating.
The first part of route was along a well used vehicle track up through trees to a meadow which stretched along a ridge. The meadows was being grazed by cows, their bells clanging as they bent down to eat the grass. Knowing that where there were animals being grazed, some aggressive dogs would be nearby I readied my walking stick. Sure enough three dogs raced towards me. Fortunately it was just for show, however the next group of dogs I encountered were more serious which jaws and teeth that looked like they could do some damage. Fortunately the cowherd appeared, told them off and threw a stone towards them and after a polite exchange I was on my way.
Coniferous trees followed as I climbed steadily onto progressively more scenic paths. By midday I reached the Lovna hut. The shower shared a small room with a WC and the floor was soon awash with water. Maybe I should have stood in the bowl that was in a corner? It was good to wash off the sweat of the last few days. The walls were partly papered with pages from climbing magazines and included some artistic photos of naked ladies climbing vertical rock faces.
Lunch was Shopska salad and meatballs. I spent the afternoon relaxing listening to classic hits being pumped out by the music system, Tom Jones and the like singing to the Bulgarian mountains.
Now, after a beer, bean soup and macaroni pie I am ready for bed, I need an early start tomorrow as it would be a long day.

The track to Lovna hut

Dormitory accommodation at Lovna hut, which was full (at night)

No comments:

Post a Comment