Saturday 28 April 2018

Bankya to Sofia on E4 Day 3

Dogs were a worry as I passed through the outer villages and suburbs, however the centre of Sofia was an attractive surprise.
I left Bankya, crossed some fields, walked through two villages and under the A6 motorway to reach Sofia's outer suburbs. Then heading towards an area of green fields down an unattractive track from one urban area, I came upon a large pack of big, loose barking dogs of various types but none looking friendly. I was tempted to back off and find a road route around them but as two men were walking through them I carried on. It was intimidating, dogs barking at me from all sides, two groups of them. It may not have helped that I had just bought a bread roll which had a sausage baked inside it, planning to eat it for my breakfast when I had reached a suitable spot. As it smelt good to me I am sure it also smelt good to the dogs. I thought I had managed to get through them when I heard one rushing at me from behind. By this time I had overtaken the two men. One shouted at the dog (or maybe me) it hesitated and then another dog attacked it. Finally I was through. Unfortunately then I passed some houses from which two big dogs rushed out snarling with bared teeth. They must have had some restraint as I survived but was glad to enter Zapaden park where the only dogs were on leads and there were a few men jogging, walking or cycling. Having survived the threat of a dog bite I was attacked by mosquitoes as I ate my breakfast. I had also bought some Boza to sample, which is a local drink. An interesting experience but will stick to the equally local yoghurt based drinks for breakfast next time.
After the park it was down a long and pleasant, tree lined boulevard to the centre of town stopping on the way to sample a moist cake with chocolate, hazelnuts and raisins in. I arrived at the Best Western hotel at 12:30. They did not allow me to check in but let me leave my luggage so that I could join the Balkan Bites tour at 2:00 pm. Bulgarian food seems pretty similar to Serbian food, some nice soft cheese, a roast paprika paste and various other bite sized samples were offered.
In the evening lots of people out on a Saturday night walking the streets, drinking and eating. Places were full but I did manage a good meal before bed, albeit expensive based on recent experience.

17.2 kilometres walked today. A gpx file of my route can be found on wikiloc.com or downloaded from ViewRanger as johnpon0033.

Zapaden park

Outskirts of Sofia

Statue of Sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment