Wednesday 22 August 2018

Macedonia hut to Predel hut on E4; Day 13

Today was one of two parts, a ridge walk over grassy summits followed by a long descent to the saddle between the Rila and Pirin hills.
Walking over the most southerly peaks of the Rila mountains today was less tiring than on previous days, the mountains being more rounded and grassy. Various layers of clothing, my "Buff" covering my ears plus gloves protected me from the cold wind which was bringing black clouds overhead obscuring the sun (more distant hills were in full sunshine, the mountain weather can be quite local). Birds (kestrels?) rose and fell on the fluctuations of the wind as they tried to keep position. Grasshoppers jumped out of my way. A few grazing horses looked up at me. As I progressed the low ground each side of the mountains gave hazy views of distant towns.
At length I reached the last summit and a steep descent began. The path was obscure and trail markers disappeared. I followed where a previous party had flattened the grass as I made my descent around rocks and trees to a clearing with a hunter's tower. From there a path off a dirt road went through wild raspberries, ripe and sweet. I would not have found it except that it had been recently used. Eventually I lost it and blundered through the undergrowth and rocks, among trees until I re-found a path and joined a dirt road. Later my GPS and guidebook said I should leave the dirt road but when I tried I was met with thick undergrowth after a short distance. So I followed the forestry road and making some choices at various junctions rejoined the correct route lower down the hillside.
Eventually the dirt track became an asphalt road beside which were various groups of holiday bungalows. I could not decide if they were abandoned or still available for use, no children or families were enjoying them.
Finally reaching a busy road with cars and lorries racing each way, I crossed with care and went up the lane to Predel hut. It is a grade up on the previous huts with rooms with en-suite bathrooms. They are barbecuing something for dinner it smells goooood.

Black clouds over the Rila mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment